RasGas  
Operations
Related Links
Adriatic Terminal

 

RasGas
RasGas
 

A SIGNIFICANT ALLIANCE

QATAR PETROLEUM, EXXONMOBIL AND EDISON SIGNED AN AGREEMENT FOR AN LNG REGASIFICATION FACILITY – THE ADRIATIC LNG TERMINAL – OFF THE COAST OF ITALY. THE TERMINAL WAS DESIGNED, BUILT AND NOW OPERATED BY ADRIATIC LNG.

The Adriatic LNG Terminal (or Terminale GNL Adriatico, to use its Italian name) received its first cargo of 52,000 tonnes of Qatari LNG on 10 August 2009. It was officially inaugurated two months later, in October. The terminal’s full regasification capacity is 775 Mmscfd or approximately 8 billion cubic metres per year, or 10 percent of Italy’s natural gas consumption.

The project was initiated in May 2005, when Qatar Petroleum, ExxonMobil and Edison signed groundbreaking agreements for an LNG regasification facility – the Adriatic LNG Terminal – off the coast of Italy. This significant alliance represented Qatar’s strategic move into the LNG terminal and regasification business. It ensures Qatar Petroleum and ExxonMobil a presence in the whole LNG value chain from gas production through liquefaction, shipping and LNG regasification. The terminal strengthens Qatar’s connection to Europe and creates a strategic new route for the delivery of gas.

The Adriatic LNG Terminal is owned by Qatar Petroleum (45 percent), ExxonMobil (45 percent) and Edison (10 percent). To support its 25-year supply agreement with RasGas, Edison has contracted 80 percent of the terminal’s capacity to regasify LNG imported from Qatar. The remaining 20 percent is available for third party access.

Key terminal facts

  • Terminal start-up in 2009
  • Located 15 kilometres off the Veneto coastline at Porto Levante
  • World’s first offshore LNG storage and regasification terminal
  • Concrete ‘gravity-based structure’ (GBS)
  • 2 x 125,000m3 LNG storage tanks
  • 8 billion cubic metres annual regasification capacity
  • 375m long x 115m wide, 18m above sea level
  • 25 kilometres associated pipelines
  • Berths for LNG tankers from 65,000m3 to 152,000m3

  RasGas
   
© 2001-2013. RasGas Company Limited. All rights reserved. RasGas